2011年1月10日

《 Invictus》Willaim Ernest Henley, (1849-1903). Out Of The Night That Covers Me

William Ernest Henley (1849-1903)

Out Of The Night That Covers Me (Invictus)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.





Qutoe Invictus From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Invictus" is a short Victorian poem by the English poet William Ernest Henley (1849–1903).

Background

At the age of 12, Henley fell victim to tuberculosis of the bone. A few years later, the disease progressed to his foot, and physicians announced that the only way to save his life was to amputate directly below the knee. It was amputated when he was 25. Victorian text-books professing stoicism were popular in English public schools, and in 1875, the Stoic ideal of indifference in the face of suffering inspired Henley to write his poem from a hospital bed.[1] Despite his disability, he survived with one foot intact and led an active life until his death at the age of 53.

Publication history

The poem was written in 1875 and first published in 1888[2] in Henley's Book of Verses, where it was the fourth in a series of poems entitled Life and Death (Echoes).[3] It originally bore no title.[3] Early printings contained only the dedication To R. T. H. B.—a reference to Robert Thomas Hamilton Bruce (1846–1899), a successful Scottish flour merchant and baker who was also a literary patron.[4]

The familiar title "Invictus" (Latin for "unconquered"[5]) was added by Arthur Quiller-Couch when he included the poem in The Oxford Book Of English Verse (1900).[6][7]


《 Invictus》 (拉丁文:無敵的 英國詩人:威廉亨利)
電影片名《 Invictus》的歷史典故:

19世紀的英國詩人亨利威廉(Willaim Ernest Henley, 1849-1903),從小體弱多病,患有肺結核,其中一隻腳因重症而截肢。不屈不撓的他,從不向多舛的命運低頭,在與病魔奮力搏鬥的人生中,寫下了無數 不朽經典詩作,包括了膾炙人口的詩篇「INVICTUS」。INVICTUS在拉丁文中是UNCONQUERABLE「永不言敗、永不倒下」的意思,這首充滿鬥志的詩,撐持曼德拉渡過27年漫長的黑獄生活,也是他一生奉行的座右銘。為了讓跳羚隊成員能夠有所成長,曼德拉總統親手送給橄欖球隊長這首詩,希望可以藉由此詩啟發他們,賦予他們一顆堅定的心。

中文翻譯

Out of the night that covers me, 夜幕低垂將我籠罩,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole, 兩極猶如漆黑地窖,

I thank whatever gods may be, 我感謝未知的上帝,

For my unconquerable soul, 賦予我不敗的心靈。

In the fell clutch of circumstance, 即使環境險惡危急,

I have not winced or cried aloud. 我不會退縮或哭嚎,

Under the bludgeonings of chance 立於時機的脅迫下,

My head is bloody, but unbowed 血流滿面我不屈服。

Beyond this place of wrath and tears 超越這般悲憤交集,

Looms but the Horror of the shade, 恐怖陰霾逐步逼近,

And yet the menace of the years 我終究會無所畏懼。

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid


It matters not how strait the gate, 縱然通道無比險狹,

How charged with punishments is the scroll, 儘管嚴懲綿延不盡,

I am the master of my fate 我是我命運的主人,

I am the captain of my soul. 我是我心靈的統帥。




沒有留言:

張貼留言